We are urging all Prospective Parliamentary Candidates to sign up to our three Election Pledges ahead of the UK General Election:
Election pledges for Prospective Parliamentary Candidates
1. As a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate, I will support public service media in the UK as a means of sustaining an informed and educated democracy whose members have the tools to participate in civil society. To this end I also support the principle of impartiality in news on all UK-licenced TV and radio channels.
2. As a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate, I will support measures that halt the rapid decline in UK-produced public service content, including that content aimed at people from a wide range of age groups, backgrounds and cultures.
3. As a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate I will support measures that protect the integrity, editorial independence and current funding base of the BBC. As such, I will also support ways and means of funding other public service broadcasters and content producers, such as Channel 4 and ITV, in ways that do not carve up the licence fee or subject any incumbent public service broadcasters to undue commercial or political pressure.
If you are a prospective Parliamentary Candidate, you can email us to sign up to these election pledges.
The following candidates have signed up to our election pledges:
- Nic Best, Green Party PPC for Bournemouth East
- Fiona Hornby, Liberal Democrat PPC for Devizes
- Steven J Humphrey, Independent PPC for Bournemouth East
- Tom Miller, Labour PPC for Woking
- Rhonda Reekie, Scottish Green Party PPC for Aberdeen South
- Eleanor Tunnicliffe, Labour PPC for Richmond Park